Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#175149 - 02/18/13 07:38 AM New member intro from PA
scroungetech Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Greetings All,
I'm from Lancaster, PA. I've spent about 18 months of my 35 years camping and backpacking. I've had the best times in the Allegheny NF and the Finger Lakes NF. Because I've been in school FT while working FT for the last 2 years, I haven't had a chance to go anywhere, but graduation is May 2013 so I'm planning now. I'm hoping to get some pointers on home made gear and gear mods to shave a few pounds off my pack weight, and also some destination recommendations.
Thanks!
scroungetech

#175153 - 02/18/13 11:24 AM Re: New member intro from PA [Re: scroungetech]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
scroungetech,

Three trails in your area: The AT itself, a bit north of you; the Horseshoe trail, which leaves the AT near Hershey and goes to Valley Forge, and the Brandywine Trail (Wilmington Trail Club) that leaves the Horseshoe Trail just South and East of you and goes to the DuPont Hagley Mills in Wilmington. There are a number of others in the general area, With the Mason-Dixon trail and the Batona trail coming quickly to mind, plus there's a Pennsylvania State Park (can't remember the name offhand) with some very nice trails that is very close to you. Took both my daughters and a whole lot of other people on their first backpack trips, using a shelter there (It may not be there any more). best, jcp

#175157 - 02/18/13 03:34 PM Re: New member intro from PA [Re: scroungetech]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
As a fellow newbie, welcome.

Experienced backpackers will tell you to start reducing weight with the "big three": shelter, sleeping bag, and pack. Unfortunately, I don't know any way to get a sleeping bag or quilt for cheap unless you just get really lucky finding a deal. However, cheap DIY shelter and pack options are very doable. One of the members on this forum, topshot, has done quite a bit of work building inexpensive, but good, tents out of plastic and tape, and other's have built on his ideas. See this, this, and this.

As far as a pack goes, there are free plans for at least one model online here. Beware though, that they say pack fit is very individual, and whichever pack you get or build has to be a good fit for you. And, the pack has to be appropriately sized for your gear. For that reason, they recommend that a pack is the last thing you buy. If, the one I linked to is a good volume and fit for you however, it could be built as specified in the plans for about $40, or less if you use cheaper (heavier) or free materials. Another member, billstephenson, has recommended used feed bags. I got some myself, and while I haven't built my pack yet, it does seem like it would make a good pack.

Back to the quilt - Depending on what kind of weather you're going to be out in, you might just have to spend a bit here. The least expensive new option I've seen is putting together the quilt kit from Ray Jardine's site. I don't have the link, but it should come up on google easily. Of course, if you're only going to be camping in warm weather, that would be overkill, and you could get away with something much less expensive, but you should plan for the coldest night you might encounter. I've got more money saving ideas; you can look at my "My Newbie Gear Log" to see what I've done so far, and I'm sure others can chime in.

EDIT: I just realized you asked about saving weight, not money, whereas my answer focuses on cost. Thankfully, a lot of the least expensive solutions are also very light.

Edited by 4evrplan (02/18/13 06:04 PM)

#175158 - 02/18/13 06:13 PM Re: New member intro from PA [Re: 4evrplan]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By 4evrplan

Experienced backpackers will tell you to start reducing weight with the "big three": shelter, sleeping bag, and pack. Unfortunately, I don't know any way to get a sleeping bag or quilt for cheap unless you just get really lucky finding a deal.

What is cheaper?

A sleeping bag you buy one time and use for decades, OR, a cheap sleeping bag, followed by another one when the first proves to not keep you warm, followed by another one when you start to focus more on lightening up the pack because you want to go more often and it makes a significant difference? One $350 bag is cheaper than three cheap bags, and it's more comfortable.

If you buy a really good bag up front - it will have a higher resale value if you then take care of it and decide after a few years that since your doctor told you to stop backpacking or you just lose interest, I need to liquidate the gear.

I used to cheap out on stuff. The older you are when you get into it, the more important it is to get the stuff that works well and suits your needs - comfort for some of us is a bigger part of the equation. I could sleep on rocks when I was a kid. It's not going to happen now.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#175159 - 02/18/13 06:23 PM Re: New member intro from PA [Re: scroungetech]
lori Offline

Welcome aboard! There are a lot of DIY projects around the internet, including the DIY forum here. You'll probably get a kick out of the Zen Stoves site. (google it, pops right up.)

#175163 - 02/18/13 07:48 PM Re: New member intro from PA [Re: lori]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Originally Posted By lori

Experienced backpackers will tell you to start reducing weight with the "big three": shelter, sleeping bag, and pack. Unfortunately, I don't know any way to get a sleeping bag or quilt for cheap unless you just get really lucky finding a deal.

What is cheaper?

A sleeping bag you buy one time and use for decades, OR, a cheap sleeping bag, followed by another one when the first proves to not keep you warm, followed by another one when you start to focus more on lightening up the pack because you want to go more often and it makes a significant difference? One $350 bag is cheaper than three cheap bags, and it's more comfortable.

If you buy a really good bag up front - it will have a higher resale value if you then take care of it and decide after a few years that since your doctor told you to stop backpacking or you just lose interest, I need to liquidate the gear.

I used to cheap out on stuff. The older you are when you get into it, the more important it is to get the stuff that works well and suits your needs - comfort for some of us is a bigger part of the equation. I could sleep on rocks when I was a kid. It's not going to happen now.

Yes, of course. I'm obviously all for saving money, but that's with the understanding that what you get actually works long-term. I'm admittedly inexperienced, but the reason I mentioned the the Ray-Way quilt kit is that, from everything I've read, I understand it to be about the least expensive option that will work long-term.

#175168 - 02/18/13 08:29 PM Re: New member intro from PA [Re: 4evrplan]
lori Offline

I'm admittedly inexperienced, but the reason I mentioned the the Ray-Way quilt kit is that, from everything I've read, I understand it to be about the least expensive option that will work long-term.

The Ray Way was my second purchase.

I still have it and occasionally use it - it rides around in my trunk along with the five gallons of water when I'm driving forest service roads, just in case.

#175175 - 02/19/13 09:30 AM Re: New member intro from PA [Re: scroungetech]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
Originally Posted By scroungetech
I'm hoping to get some pointers on home made gear and gear mods to shave a few pounds off my pack weight
With those 2 criteria, you should head over to the MYOG forum at backpackinglight.com - lots of pushing the envelope on what can be done.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Bear Facts
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:47 AM
Aramark
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:46 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 172 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
dellagoss, StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky
13242 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum