After two one-week trips in the Rockies this past month, I'm changing my preferred shelter option. The Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo is OK for Hysson (my dog) and me for 1 or 2-night fair weather trips when we're in the tent only to sleep. But for longer trips, especially when it rains every evening so we're confined to the tent for several hours before bedtime, it's just too cramped. The two of us together also completely overwhelmed the ventilation system, with lots of condensation. This wasn't too bad if I woke up early enough to wipe down the tent walls before Hysson went into the infamous Labrador tail-wag routine, but if Hysson awakened first, the rain inside was worse than outside! A solo tent is obviously just that, made for a solo human, not a human plus an 80-lb. dog!

So I'm going back to my Tarptent Squall 2, despite the extra 10 oz. weight. It's nice and roomy and I've never had a drop of condensation in it, even in really soggy weather. Anyone want to buy a Lunar Solo? (After I clean and de-dog-hair it.) EDIT: It has been sold!

I'm now saving my pennies. Eventually, I may get a Gossamer Gear Squall Classic. GG has finally received spinntex fabric but the design is being tweaked on both the Squall Classic and "The One," so they say it will be a few months before the tents are available. The Squall Classic is what I probably should have gotten in the first place instead of the Lunar Solo!

Edited by OregonMouse (09/03/08 03:43 PM)