Yeah, I talk to them too - if I'm just walking along with one in view I'll have an entire one sided conversation with them about the pass we're in, what the names of the mountains are, etc. and stop to let them go by, or walk on past if they have their own space and are leaving me in mine. I have my little schtick I always do thanks to my own toilet habits - like the old joke I've always asked every bear I've met since I was about 16 if his poop sticks to the fur on his butt too - I haven't had an answer yet.

I don't think it's silly at all. without sounding like a flaky new age freak, I'm pretty convinced that talking normally like that puts you in your normal "socializing" type mood, and that your tone and manner are definately sensed by an animal like a bear - it lets them know you are aware of them, and you're not afraid but you're paying attention - just a good thing.

Although in grizzly country, when one is not in view, and I'm in trees (as opposed to the alpine) I tend to give little loud "yip yip" every few minutes - just so the bears know I'm coming down the trail, and aren't surprised when I come over a knoll.

Edited by phat (07/10/08 10:30 PM)
Browse my pictures