According to Fish and Game estimates, we have between 200 and 300 BLACK bears roaming around Anchorage and environs. They don't threaten humans much, but they do cause more and more damage to structures and domestic animals, and are getting more and more bold as time goes on. I think it will be just a matter of time before a black bear decides to not back off from a human interaction. Already a number of black bears have wound up dead after entering occupied homes. And as a side note, we really aren't encroaching on their territory all that much, but aside from humans, there aren't many natural predators and they seem to have done well population-wise over the last few years. We have VERY strict laws here about garbage and birdfeeders, storing dogfood outdoors, etc. so that bears don't get too used to finding easy meals in someone's back yard.

Just because I live in Griz country, doesn't mean that I don't have a very healthy respect for blackies. I fully believe in keeping wild animals wild, and it is our responsibility to do everything in our power to prevent them from becoming habituated.

MNS