I live on the boarder of Maryland and West Virginia. If you're going to be on the Eastern side of Maryland I can't tell you much about it. There are too many people and major metropolis to deal with. On the Western side of Maryland there is plenty to do. Being close to WV and Va you would be close to the George Washington and Monongahela National Forests. There are a lot of bugs out there but most of the time it's not in the extreme unless you're camping beside a water source; mosquito's. Temperature changes can be pretty crazy in the higher elevations; 3000 - 5000 ft. I went out in early spring this year at around 3200 ft and that day it was a warm 75-80 degrees. That night it dropped down to around 35 degrees. This much of a deference is very rare in mid-summer however, though it can drop down to the 60's range easily. In the Winter it's certainly not like the Rockies but it does still get cold and snow some. Most of the snow will be in January and some in February. Every few years we get a lot of snow but mostly it's not much. It will still be cold up high though, subzero in some areas. The area I'm in is a temperate climate if that helps you any. Hope this helps. Feel free to send a message with questions if you like. I can tell you pretty cool places to check out for hiking. Lots of rocks to climb out here too.

Aaron