Frediver poses an interesting question: Is a wood burning stove (e.g. Bushbuddy, Kelly Kettle, etc.) considered to be a "campfire", at least within the jurisdiction of SEKI? I can't find a definitive answer in the SEKI website. A campfire is not defined. But the adjacent Sierra National forest does offer these words on its website:

"Definition: A campfire is a fire which is used for cooking, personal warmth, lighting, ceremonial or esthetic purposes that is not within a building, mobile home or living accommodations mounted on a motor vehicle. Campfires include wood fires, charcoal fires, and portable gas stoves using gas, jellied petroleum or pressurized liquid fuel."

As you can see, my Gigapower would fall under campfire rules under that jurisdiction. And that definition would certainly include wood burning stoves.

And here's another interesting point. In many areas of California (some within Federal lands) a campfire in a legal area is still not legal unless the builder has a valid California Campfire Permit. One of the requirements of said permit is this: "Have a shovel available at the campfire site for preparing and extinguishing campfires."

So.....at least in the Sierra National Forest, if I'm hiking the JMT and using my Gigapower legally with a valid permit, am I technically required to have a shovel with me??? And how does one define a "shovel"? Does a potty trowel qualify?

Ah, government regulations. Gotta love 'em.

My guess is that six different rangers will give you six different answers to the above questions.

Sorta like the IRS.

Edit: I did some looking around online. It seems as though most areas, at least in California, include stoves and even lanterns in their definition of a campfire. I better start looking for a lightweight shovel!!!!