I'm pretty much an alcohol stove guy but I thought I'd experiment a little so this past weekend my daughter and I used ESBIT tabs with my Heinekin pot. I used something similar when I was a kid and remembered that it left a residue that I didn't like.

I had to laugh when I opened the package because I've heard people say ESBIT tabs smell like fish and they are absolutely right! I think if I'm going to use these I'll have to make sure and carry a ziplock for the left over packaging to keep the smell away. I wonder if it attracts critters?

The residue is much less than I remember from 30 years ago. Just a tiny waxy blob where the tab had been. The bottom of the pot got some smut on it that came off pretty easily. The size was just about right for the amount of water I needed to boil.

All in all I liked it better than I expected. I like the fact that the "fuss factor" was so small, just light and sit back. The cost is more than alcohol but there is no concern about measuring or spilling. And it removes the concern about accidentally crushing your can stove.

But those are my thoughts after one outing. Anyone want to weigh in on downsides or upsides I haven't thought about?