Quote:
If you want to see something really weird, put an iodine tab in water and then pour it into a titanium cup. It turns the water blue!

I take the Katadyn tabs for emergency only when I go in an area where I do not expect to treat the water. If I go in an area where I know I will have to treat all my non-boiled water I use iodine tabs with a neutralizer. When I do use the Katadyn tabs, I throw a couple in a liter of water - because if I ever treat water - it is really yucky! Good to know, though, that I should throw in 4 tabs!
Unfortunately, iodine won't kill crypto and is almost useless in very cold water. Iodine is potentially more harmful to humans than chlorine dioxide as well and can cause severe problems for pregnant women and folks that have iodine allergies. Iodine will also kill the natural flora in the intestines that are essential for digesting food. Iodine will also degrade over time and is completely ineffective if the open bottle is older than a year. The neutralizer is really vitamin C tablets and if they're put in the water too soon, the iodine will be neutralized and won't have a chance to kill the bad stuff. MicroPur is a far more effective means of water purification than iodine and much safer. It also tastes much better if the right dose is administered.

You should only need one tablet of MicroPur per liter in most backcountry water sources. The 4 doses are for Aqua Mira, not the Katadyn's MicroPur tablets. PLEASE do not put in 4 tablets of MicroPur in a liter of water! It will taste terrible and is not necessary (no wonder you don't like MicroPur)! If your a healthy adult that doesn't get sick often, truthfully you will only need one tablet per liter.

It is interesting to note that Potable Aqua's Chlorine Dioxide tablets come from the same factory in Italy as MicroPur and, apparently, Aqua Mira's.