You obviously haven't been to China. You should visit -- and you'll realize just how badly your 1950's version of China needs updating.

We all compete in the world -- economically. The only time America has ever lost are the times when its people fell asleep on the switch -- i.e. when they become ignorant of others. America practically lost its auto industry when supposedly "cheap" Japanese cars suddenly showed up as anything but. Ditto with electronics in the 1980's and 90's. We've managed to hold on -- but ignorance about our competitors is no bliss.

China has a whole slew of under-handed, unethical, and/or downright sloppy factories. I can find a few in our own country too. But I wouldn't paint a whole entire country a uniform black because of this. Look at some of your high-end Mountain Hardwear, Sierra Designs, Marmot or TNF stuff -- they too are likely made in China.

Folks who have no first hand experience are ever too quick to broadbrush -- based on the media reports they get. They don't know any better. But they should give it an effort.