Update: The Gossamer Gear Mariposa packs are just slightly too large for my 6 and 8-year-old grandkids who are the same size. The main problem is the hipbelt. I will be looking for some cushioning to fit inside the hipbelt to make the inside circumference about 1/4 " shorter (it's that close to being OK). Otherwise the packs work just fine! The "small" size Mariposa needs to have the removable foam pads for the hip and shoulder belt trimmed to fit (there's the option of using spare socks, but I'd rather not). I also plan to use extra lacing so there will be compression on both the sides and the back. The new packs will be put together and presented to the kids at Christmas. I haven't checked to see if this pack is still on special or if the small size has sold out. GG is phasing out the Mariposa and will be using only a remodeled Miniposa come fall. The Miniposa is a smaller capacity pack so the "small" might be more suitable for youngsters. The sitpad/carbon fiber stay suspension provides plenty of weight transfer to the hipbelt. This appears to be more important than load lifters in keeping the pressure off the kids' shoulders. I had each of the kids carry 8 lbs. for 30 minutes and they were comfortable--even without the foam pads in hipbelt and shoulder straps!

I tried on one of the Mariposa packs and it felt great, although the "small" is just a little too small for me, even though my torso length is 15".

"JP," age 8, carried total pack weight of 10 lbs. in his "butchered" (to remove about 1/2 lb. of gewgaws) REI Comet on a 4-mile (one way) backpack earlier this week. He had no complaints and was really proud of carrying more weight than his "little" sister!