What I posted about the MLD Kids' Prophet was the general consensus of responses to my queries on this and other forums, which confirmed what I thought. I got two responses saying there was little or no weight transference to the hipbelt. That's why I ordered the GG Mariposas. The problems my grandkids have had with pain from shoulder strap pressure have been with total pack weight of only 4.5 lbs., which is why I was so dubious about the Prophet.

The Mariposas will arrive tomorrow but I won't be able to try them on the grandkids until early next week. I will report here late next week whether or not they work.

If the Mariposas don't work out, I'll definitely take another look at the Kids' Prophet (I will order and see how they work) and report back (probably not until closer to Christmas, though). Thank you, BarryP, for your input--it's the first positive response I've had about this pack! You appear to be the first respondent who has actually used a frameless pack on your kids!