I would suspect that you do not "hike" stark naked and barefoot. If you do let me know where! I would love to see this. When you say nothing is essential, this is what you imply.

I was not referring to any specific "ten essentials". Essentials like appropriate shoes. Like shelter (and that may only be a poncho), appropriate to the conditions. Like a means to carry water. (you may think you are tough, but break a leg with no water and you may do a bit better if you had some extra with you). Like a few first aid supplies (that may only be a bandana), Like sun protection if you are in hot locations. Like a map or some means of knowing where you are. Like enough extra clothing to survive probable weather conditions. I do not feel my megar list of "essentials" weight me down. With years of experience, everyone ends up with a pretty good idea of what is essential. Beginers do not have that history of experience. There is nothing wrong with them starting out with a little overkill and with experience specific to their situation, adjust.

I find your "observations" of fellow backpackers arrogant. A few years back an "elite" athlete trail runner made it to the top of Clouds Rest (in Yosemite) behind my "over-supplied" group. She and her mate was able to do this because WE had the boots needed to posthole miles through the unexpected soft snow. In only her scanty nylon shorts, she got to the top and collapsed with a horrific nose bleed. It was windy and cold. The jacket we loaned her kept her moderatly warm until she got the bleeding under control. A sip from our water supply revived her. Off she and her partner went, feeling quite superior to us poor slobs. Man, were we stupid to carry our "essentials"!

If you gain no wisdom from reading accident reports, that certainly is YOUR loss. I pity you. I spent 10 years in coal mining. We had intensive safety training (fear mongering, as you call it). I learned stuff that I still use today, applicable to home safety, industrial and even recreational. A lot about "attitude" and how it impacts safety. A lot about accident prevention.

As for the relative safety of "hiking" vs driving - tell that to a number of friends I knew who are now dead or permanantly disabled. I know more people who met their end in outdoor accidents than car accidents. It is not the total number of car accidents rather, the rate of accidents per person-hour engaged in the activity. Yeh, I do hang out with climbers - perhaps a bit more "risky" than just hiking.

Anyway, I am not going to waste my efforts with any more posts. Let the defense rest.