Quote:
Please elaborate, Ronin.

MNS, the SAR volunteer in AK

1) My comments were clearly not directed at anyone in particular.
2) I've been reading your posts for years. You are one of the most interesting and informative members on this thread (along w/Jimshaw and Pika).

OK, back to your regularly scheduled rant. In Brief (i'm not kidding, i could write a book on this topic):

Extreme: Because the risk of serious injury requiring rescue is infinitesimally small in comparisn to normal day to day activities. E.g. driving to the trailhead. Because of the "Last Straw Factor." Ie; the total effect of Hyped adverts, sensationalist news and post after post warning of dire consequences.

Paternalistic: Because all the dire warnings aimed at "beginners" imply that they must be protected from themselves. And who better to do the job than some avowed expert? Be it the local SAR who help set rules (e.g. the never ending must have a PLB controversy). Or the local politicians who think they know what's best for all. Or even your next door neighbor who after reading another sad story thinks "... there ought to be a law."

Harmful: Because the "Fear Factor" leads to lessened use of our trail systems. Which causes wholesale decommissioning. Because the FF leads to overly large, heavy packs which incur a greater risk of injury.

Now back to you MNS. Read the following assuming a kindly tone, ok? Good. :-)

The film you were a part of will most likely ignore the fact that hypothermia is seldom a problem leading to serious injury requiring rescue. In addition it will ignore the fact that most injury related rescues are for experienced, properly equipped hikers (if not over-equipped; e.g. the subjects of this thread).

Will it also ignore the fact that hyperthermia is a much, much more likely problem? Will it also ignore the fact that poor decision making due to fatigue is also vastly more likely than hypothermia? And I could go on and on. And often do. Sorry!

MNS, I hope this last comment doesn't hurt your feelings, What the producers do is *no* reflection on you. Based on the vast majority of videos/films i've seen it is likely that the film will be yet another sensationalistic stab at fear mongering.

Peace,

Richard.