just read the whole post heres my 2 bits worth it makes me uncomfortable that there are lists of items to bring. when i started my winter camping it was in the yukon cub movement .there were no listed supplies you took what you had slept in the tent and if you were cold you went in the cabin next trip you tried to get better stuff. i guess that i feel if you are using lists you maybe in a little to far allready most of my gear has evolved from trial and error thru the years i have spent much time in a snow cave in my front yard trying gear stoves sleepbags etc. there isn't many people that i would go up in the hills with that just talk about what they read in a book. now talking about cold our valley bottoms run about 1300-2000 ft we have had snow at this hieght in every month of the year our mountains run up to 8000 ft in this area and they do freeze regular if you get hurt lost and do not have extra gear you will not survive, it does throw out the real light weight goals to carry the extra food cloths sleeping bag but it is my opinion that with true bush savvy you will bring the extra stuff and you will go forward with a lighter consciounce and only slightly heavy pack. all that rambeling aside if one does not have the skills needed to use your gear noyhing else matters if you let coldness creep in and get ahold then you may not be able to save yourself if you catch it in time and you have the gear ----- then you stand a chance