Quote:
I would never want to debunk the dangers of hypothermia, especially on a public forum that will be read by beginners.

I don't think that anyone has suggested any such thing OregonMouse. What I and others try to point out is that most people have an over-inflated fear of the, so called, wilderness due to post after post (and etc) filled with doom and gloom.

"Lions and snakes and bears .... Oh My!!!" Let's Get Real.

1) The average newbie seldom gets in serious trouble in the first place because they're too scared to venture away from established trails. It's the experienced (actually, it's often true experts) who get themselves in trouble. And often enough it's not due to being underprepared. I know this is all anecdotal and all too general. But if anyone can prove otherwise .... please correct me.
2) The average newbie takes everything but the kitchen sink. Mostly due to all the fear-mongering. Again being underprepared is not an issue.
Note: Lacking an appreciation (ie; adequate knowledge) of the dangers of the "wild and wooly" outdoors is not an issue due to #1 and #2.

So what's the harm in carrying an extra pound of down (for example)? Not much harm, IMO. But a pound of down isn't what happens in the real world. What happens is at least a two pound jacket and pants and heavy boots and gloves and poles and then a larger (ie; heavier) pack and so on, and on and on.

By the time the newbie gets to the trailhead he/she is carrying a 40 pound pack when a 20ish pack would do nicely.

The huge difference in weight comes mostly from being overly exposed to fear-mongering. And the harm includes greater risk of injury and greater fatigue .... which leads to poor decision making! I repeat: Poor decision making .... due to fatigue. And that is (poor decisions) one of the main causes of a large number of injuries and re, IME.

Last but certainly *not* least: The newbie does not enjoy the hike as much as one could and either doesn't venture out again. Or does so sporadically.

Side Issue: I've noticed that a great many experienced hikers would love to see fewer people on the trail, so i'm sure that discouraging newbies might play a part. Albeit a *subconscious* one. But I digress.

Note: Please keep in mind that the term "wilderness" is a misnomer when used to describe the vast majority of hiking folks do. Experienced or otherwise.

Quote:
I just hope, Johndavid, that we won't be reading about you as another casualty in the future.

Do you really believe that a person as experienced as johdavid would find himself unprepared? Doubtful! But I do think he's at high risk .... simply because he is highly experienced and therefore more likely to take chances a newbie wouldn't even dream of.

Peace,

Richard.