I put up a link to an early story on this in the mountaineering forum. There is another story with more detail on Yahoo News today.

The Yahoo story is from AP-if you can't find it on Yahoo News, your local paper might have picked it up from the wire service.
Rainer story

I know some people get annoyed at Jim and others who harp about these kinds of accidents and we often post them and comment on them when we see them.

One of the criticisms is that it is easy to "second guess" what went wrong from the comfort of our living room. Fair enough. We weren't there. But unfortunately, many of these incidents have what appears to be several common elements-
1. failure to get a current weather forecast (the big PNW storm last winter comes to mind);
2. failure to carry enough gear/food for bad weather;
3. lack of knowledge as to how to use the gear at hand or when to use it.

I make no claims whatsoever about being an expert on the outdoors, so when I go anywhere, (which isn't all that often), at least I take what I think I might need if something goes wrong.

I have no idea why these three found themselves where they were under those circumstances, so no second-guessing by me here, but there is a lesson to be learned.

There was a similar incident last year with two hikers/climbers who froze to death in the same general area for the same reason-they got caught in a storm. They were found with all the gear they needed to survive, but hadn't deployed it in time-tent, sleeping bags, stoves, food, warm clothes.

One plausible explanation in that case was that they died because they lacked the awareness to understand that the weather was deteriorating so fast that they needed to act immediately to save themselves. Is that fair to them? I don't know, but it seems reasonable to me based on what was reported.

Edited by TomD (06/11/08 11:34 AM)