Cost effective? I got my permethrin as a pint of 10% solution for $9. I cut it 10:1 with water for a 1% solution and then spray it on the clothes. This seems to be good for several washings over a few weeks. When I soak the clothes and let them dry, it lasts at least a month. It takes about 4 oz of solution to soak the clothes, so I get 40 applications for my $9. That's 40 months of protection - I'd call that cheap bug juice. (Note that you CAN wash the garments without removing the permethrin. This might be a good idea if you're concerned about residual free insecticide.)

I understand that the army soaks their uniforms in 15% permethrin and that's supposed to provide up to 6 months of protection. But then this is the same military that said Agent Orange was OK to spray on our own troops, or that still maintains there is no health risk to depleted uranium ordnance.

One caveat for permethrin is that you should probably avoid DEET . Evidently some of the doctors researching Gulf Syndrome claim ...in test animals, specifically that they tend to avoid open spaces, a condition called thigmotaxis. I haven't found anything on interactions between picaridin and permethrin.

Hmm...something just occurred to me...some friends that just came back from a tour of duty in Iraq...they are all wall-flowers now. I just attributed that to their need for "situational awareness".

One more thing: If you still decide to use DEET, don't let Fido lick you. Dogs and cats are easily poisoned by DEET.