Thanks! All this new internet etiquitte is interesting. Also, since I do not text message, some of the acronyms used here confuse me. Wow, that just shows my age!

If you think someone is "trolling" why don't you just ask "are you trolling?" A little controversy is OK with me as long as it does not overshadow productive discussion.

Jimshaw - I agree with you in many cases. The amount and type of gear required is really dependent on the region. When I moved to Californina from Utah-Wyoming, it took me several years to realize that I could pare down on clothing. My daughter's friend took her backpacking in the desert - she said it was the weirdest feeling being outdoors without rain gear! I've nearly got myself killed in the desert due to my igonrance of the critical issues of water (or lack thereof). I agree with you that when you enter a new environment, oversupply and then cut down as you gain experience.

A lot of trolling is adolescent bravado. It is rampant on the climbing forums (such as supertopo forum). One reason I like our forum here is that it is well moderated and everyone is polite. Thank you moderators! Thanks to all for keeping it civilized!