Knorr "sides" are great! Each package is almost a meal for one person. Each pack is about 500 calories- a little short. You need to add some protein and oil - a few extra spoons of olive oil, cracker crumbs, nuts, sunflower seeds, soy nuts, (cheese and sausage or tuna if you are not a vegetarian). As for the salt, do not worry - you need extra salt when you backpack. If the taste is too salty, you can "cut" the saltiness by adding a quarter to half cup of regular noodles or instant brown rice. I find that they cook fine with 5 minutes on simmer (if you be sure to get the water boiling before adding) and 2-3 minutes of "resting" with the stove turned off. Just try each at home with the additions you choose to be sure you like them. If you want them to be spicier, bring some pepper or red pepper flakes.

Soups are also great. I just bought some Kikkoman instant tofu miso soup (3 packets per bag) at WallMart for $2 a bag. Each soup packet only weighs 0.3 oz. and they are really satisfying. Cup-a-soups can be used if you put them in snack-sized plastic bag to save space.

You also need a real treat each night to reward yourself. My favorite are 3-4 coffee flavored hard candies each night. Or a small piece of quality dark chocolate. Or a rum soaked cookie ball. Food is also psychological - do not discount small amounts of comfort food!

Take plent of tea bags - they weigh nothing and you can also stick a few in your water bottle and make sun tea on the trail.

I do not get too obsessed with nutrition on a 10-day trip. Calories are the most important. More fat or salt than is "recommended" for the average sendentary person is fine. Just be aware that you will have better longer lasting energy if you rely on complex carbs rather than lots of sugar- that is why I prefer nuts and dried fruit over candy bars or trail bars.

Although expensive I always take some freeze-dried food. My favorite are fd tomatoes, pinapple, strawberries, apples and raspberries. Freeze dried fruit is really crunchy and light - the soft stuff is simply dried - lot more weight. Also FD Wasabi peas (in Asian section of most grocieres), dried mushrooms (usually hanging up in the produce section of stores).

A trip to any large grocery store will be quite revealing! You would be amazed at the number of suitable backpacking foods are available.