Self-indulgent post:

I purchased a coated puptent at a discount department store in about 1980, I think for $19. By that measure, the similar Wenzel tent is now cheaper, given inflation. I used the thing on a 7-week bike trip in Maritimes and New England, then used it for perhaps a total of.. dunno..30 additional weeks of camping..???. mostly weekends, over a period of nearly ten years.

think this sort of tent for $30, at current prices, is grossly under-rated as a lightweight backpacking option. It provides optimal solo shelter for the large majority of folks. It would be fairly close to the ideal for, say, somebody doing a through-hike of Appalachian Trail...

It's as light or lighter than most of the main-line backpacking tents that are made by big-name manufacturers as well as the specialty boys. And a fraction of the price. And essentially, provides same protection. The current versions are lighter than the one I used.

I've had various other tents. Main thing is, a tent with full storm flaps and full-coverage fly, is considerably, much warmer in winter. Even so, my winter tents currently are floorless, full-coverage, with zippered doors: specifically MSR Twin Peaks and Golight Hex. They're fine any season, but obviously don't offer full insect protection. Not so warm, but much lighter and larger that double-walled options.

The old pup-tent weighed four pounds or less, and was roomy for one person. Hellacious mosquitos weren't a problem, and even tiny "no-see 'ums on the beach were kept at bay.

Loaned it to a friend who I think ultimately abandoned it in Costa Rica. At that point, the floor nearly resembled mosquito netting. This was due to lots of use on beach sand during many weekends of use with kayak... Beach sand is highly abrasive and destructive to tent floors.

I mentioned the terrible snow storm situation, in which I may have nearly died, in first week of April of 1982 or '83. But I used it also on a trip in Vermont in early October, with no ill effects. One night on that particular trip, in mid-1980s, I noted a slightly significant frost build-up. But it wasn't an issue with practical consequences.

I