Based on your reply I would think you would be happy with a traditional double walled 2-man tent like a MSR Hubba Hubba or maybe one of the Sierra Designs models. These tents are fairly light, basically "bomb proof" (I hate to use that term without quotation marks cause nothing is bomb proof), and the fiddle factor with them should be pretty low.

I am an avid tarptent user, but I also get out 8 - 12 times a year. If I only got out a few times a year I probably wouldn't want to mess with a tarptent or tarp or anything of that nature. I know I'll probably get blasted for these comments, but for someone who just goes out a few times a year there is something to be said for simplicity. And I think some shelters require a little more work (i.e. site selection is very important, sil-nylon stretches in the rain and needs to be re-tensioned, single walled tents require some condensation management, etc.) than others. So if you want to stay simple just go with a 2-man double walled tent. If you're in for a little challenge, then I would recommend the Henry Shires Tarptents (my personal favorite right now is the Double Rainbow).