Dan ("Potatoe") Quayle, was a board member of k2 Sports, parent company of Marmot. This, for me, is a disincentive to purchase Marmot products. However, company was acquired (again) a year ago, and I suppose he's cashed out of it by now...

Yet I've owned a PreCip for several years. I'd intended to buy a "Red Ledge" brand for slightly less money, but on comparing the two, I sprung for the PreCip. Neither are premium jackets.

But the jacket (and pants which I also got) is nearly as light as such garments come. Also nearly (not quite) the cheapest price point. These considerations are mainly what guided me to the purchase.

One hears that there are superior fabrics in terms of breathability. I rely on a windshirt for wind protection in dry or slightly damp conditions and reserve the rain jacket for rain & snow. I figure in heavy rain & such, with exterior fabric dripping wet, breathability isn't really attainable no matter what the fabric. Yet it can be a highly desirable attribute.

The PreCip at least has pit zips and the zippered pockets can also provide somewhat significant ventilation. Both design features, in my view, are highly desirable in a rain jacket of any brand.

My main concern is that PreCip isn't going to hold up to massive abrasion. If you're looking for a garment to use as daily streetwear, or other heavy use, the Marmot PreCip would probably wear out fairly quickly. Mine is going strong after four years of light use, and at current rate, might last at least another ten years.

Prior to this purchase I relied almost entirely on a 1970s REI cagoule, coated with poly urethane. It worked fairly well and I rarely complained about its lack of breathability. In particular, I found in cold and windy weather, this wasn't a problem. Having gained 20 pounds, I now find sweat more of an issue.

---