OK, now we're getting somewhere! If they are going to release a person like this, give him a chance to succeed. Do I believe this particular person should have been released?? Heck no! Cold blooded murderers should get life without parole. Period.

For other offenders, though, by releasing them, the courts think they are effectively saying: "OK, you've paid your debt, go on and be a good boy/girl now." but by not giving that person any kind of support upon release, what they're really saying is "Have a nice vacation, see you in six months!"

Frankly, I'm a little surprised and disappointed by the vengeful/hateful attitudes here. And yes, I am a pacifist.

Some appropriate quotes from His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama:

"Criminals, people who commit crimes, usually society rejects these people. They are also part of society. Give them some form of punishment to say they were wrong, but show them they are part of society and can change. Show them compassion."

"My overriding belief is that it is always possible for criminals to improve and that by its very finality the death penalty contradicts this. Therefore, I support those organizations and individuals who are trying to bring an end to the use of the death penalty"

but....

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."