Quote:
I'm in no way condoning or excusing what this jack**s did, but:

Quote:
After prison, Smith returned to Pearisburg, where he moved in with his mother, who died eight years ago, according to neighbors. Yesterday, Sherman Smith, an unrelated neighbor on Virginia Street, said Smith kept to himself.

"Nobody would hire him, so he never had a job," Sherman Smith said. "I'll miss the dog more than I'll miss him."

If we ever expect released convicts to get on with life and 'rehabilitate' we need to provide opportunities for them to support themselves, otherwise the temptation to re-offend is great since they have no means of supporting or bettering themselves on the 'outside'.

Again. It may not apply in this case and I'm not excusing the S.*.B. but....

Yes, you are excusing him. Why do we need to provide opportunities for them? If people like him want to be a part of society they need to provide opportunities for themselves. His life is not my fault, or your fault. It is not my responsibility to look after people like this and make sure they are successful in life. If they are so messed up that they need to try to kill other people then they should not be out in society, but removed. He is worse than a non-contributor, he is a taker of the worse kind. His carbon footprint should be eliminated.

Edited by GreenandTan (05/10/08 12:16 AM)