“Im not sure how ratings work.”

I’ve noticed that ratings are all over the map and mean nothing. They’re only good when comparing within one brand.

For example, a prolite 4 reg is an R=3.2, while an gg nighlight is a 2.27. Yet, when I lay on either one (with prolite firm but not bursting), and lay on it on a cold basement cement floor, I will feel the Nightlight radiating warmth back up to me (almost immediately), yet the prolite 4 is still a little cool. The Z-rest is 2.2 and I don’t feel my heat radiating back to me at all. So I would use the zrest in the summer alone. If used in the winter, I would combine the zrest with the prolite 4.

The thinlight/nighlight combo keeps me warm down to 0F but a prolite 4 alone only keeps me warm to 20F. Thus I cannot rely on R ratings for absolute temperature control.

“Can you only use a ccf pad in winter?”

No. There are a lot of variations to try. A CCF is a safe start.
Since my winter bag is thick, soft, and warm, I feel comfortable enough with just the thinlight and Nightlight. But I can’t handle that in the summer. Since my summer bag is thinner, I need a little more squishier pad.

-Barry