I just got a new pack. The Gregory Z-55, in rescue-friendly (deer scope friendly?), un-stealth Citron Yellow.

The arduous back story, FWIW. Previously I had a Lowe Alpine Outback (65L ish I would guess) from my 1991 college trip to Europe. It has been serving me well, but was delaminating crumbs all over my gear. My wife got me a REI Ridgeline last Christmas, based on my research and short list, but it proved to be too small at 65L (claimed, see below). Mind you I'm packing for two - my son (age 7) carries his own sleeping bag and water, but I'm carrying clothes, food and tent for two - he eats more than I do, too. So my next attempt was an REI Saturn 70. I bought it on REI Outlet, so it took 3 weeks to arrive. During those 3 weeks I started paying attention to the details of my packing list and made a few modifications. A down bag that stuffs down to almost fist-size. A white box stove, smaller fuel flask. A tarp tent using trekking poles (thinking about hammocks, now, too - another post). I got my list down to a respectable 26lbs including pack, two days of food for two, no water. Probably closer to 30 in field trim. but I digress.

When the Saturn arrived it positively SWALLOWED my gear. There is no way it is only 5 L larger than the Ridgeline. It would make a great backpacking thru Europe travel backpack, but way too much for the trails. And heavy! Back it went. This afternoon I took a duffel bag full of gear to the store and test loaded a couple of choices (what a nerd). I almost went with the Ridgeline again. Everything now fit perfectly, and I really liked the features - pockets, reachable water bottle holder, lash points for camera pouch on the belt, adjustable suspension. The only two things it had against it - the new ('08) belt was so thick and over-padded I got hot just wearing it in the store, and it's nearly a full pound heavier than the one I settled on. The Gregory Z-55. 3lbs 5 oz.

Even though it's 55L it felt no more full than the same gear loaded in to the Ridgeline 65. And the Gregory has that sway back suspension with the huge air gap to boot. It leads me to believe the Ridgeline's claimed volume is being veeery generous with the stretchy panel, or the belt pouches, or the top pouch extensions. Plus the stretchy panel on the Z55 is more functional, with cinch straps and a solid nylon panel. The only major point of contention on the Gregory for my was the fact that there is no easy to use water bottle pocket. Not sure how to deal with that yet, I don't want to have to get into bladders for trail water. Minor cons are the fixed suspension, but it is so light and comfortable and well ventilated.

So...hope it's a good pack. I feel so high-speed-low-drag now. Just thought I'd share.

Edited by urbansix (05/03/08 03:26 PM)