I've never used that particular pack but it looks like a reasonable one to me. It's over 3 and 1/2 pounds and that seems pretty heavy to me but if you are concerned about ruggedness then you will have to pay a weight penalty. It seems to be quite rugged and the price isn't unreasonable.

When weight is the main concern you always end up getting something that is a little more fragile so lightweight backpackers know to treat their gear a little more gently then say a boy scout does. But the motivation for light weight is usually so you can go more miles with less fatigue and see and enjoy more. For reference an ultralight backpack usually weighs less than 2 pounds.

Some people are more into having an adventure and that means possibly scraping your pack on bushes and rocks as you go off trail. Then a truly ultralight pack wouldn't serve you well because you'd probably have to repair it in the field and that would distract from the main goal of the trip.

The mantra in backpacking is "hike your own hike". Find the style of hiking that gives you the most pleasure and tailor your gear to help you accomplish that.

Now if you were to tell us that you were going to spend all your time walking on well established trails and that your pack weighed six or seven pounds and cost $250 then most of us would go nuts and you'd get 100 posts begging you to take that pack back to the store!

Welcome to TLB! Hope to hear from you a lot. The people here are really helpful and quite polite. We express our opinions but this isn't really a flamewar place.

Have fun!