I just posted this on another forum. Apologies for the cross-post but it seemed easier than re-writing it.

-H

----------------------------
Just got home from the PCT kickoff and, ok, everybody calm down...

Here's the straight story. The Sublite will be released in two versions. The Tyvek version--soft structure, 1.25 oz/yard-- is/will be pretty much as shown. It's minimal, that's the idea. You have plenty of other heavier and more expensive shelter choices if you want vestibules and mesh doors and built-in hot tubs. You don't need extra mesh in this model because the whole structure breathes so well. There's plenty of perimeter mesh and a high vent and the fabric is quite breathable. It reflects a lot of heat and light and stays cool and dry in hot sun. At 17.5 oz total including 4 stakes, you get a lot of space for sleeping plus room for gear--floor is 20 square feet and measures 86" long and 26"/42"/24" wide so there's room for gear at side or head. Love it leave it, that's what it is and will be out in June. Price will be $179.

The silnylon version is not finished yet. The final model will have more venting than the current prototype. I made up an initial prototype in a couple of nights last week as a proof of concept with patterns developed for the tyvek version. The final silnylon version will likely be an ounce heavier than the one shown--final weight of under 20 ounces including 4 stakes--and tweaked not only for more venting but also for drip-free entry/exit. It will not have a separate vestibule (see above about other shelter choices) but it will have interior room for gear and will keep you dry and bug free and resist decent storms. As above, pick a different shelter if you want more.

The Sublite requires 135cm trekking poles. We will likely offer substitute poles and the shelter will work fine without any poles if suspended from an overhead branch.

Finally, re: soft structure Tyvek, a few thoughts. Heat and light reflection is superb, the fabric is non-stretch, and it breathes really well. It is not as tear resistant as silnylon but properly reinforced it holds up and the material is, I believe, appropriate for low profile shelters like the Sublite. I'm not ready to recommend the tyvek version for thruhikes but shorter trips should be fine. Condensation potential is much lower than with a comparable silnylon/waterproof fabric. With regard to water resistance, I have been favourably impressed with the fabric for use within certain parameters. In my testing, the material is most certainly water resistant for light to moderate rains to even shorter duration heavier rains. It will absorb some water in the rain and it will get damp (much as silnylon gets damp from condensation during rain) but it has not dripped on me in my testing during light to moderate rain conditions. It does take longer to dry than silnylon not it's not a good choice for continously wet places. I'm comfortable recommending the shelter for areas with matching weather such as the west coast in summer, desert southwest most anytime (except possibly monsoon season) or anywhere else where rain is moderate and of shorter duration. In combination with a water resistant shelled sleeping bag, it will do the job perhaps beyond that but I just don't have enough data yet to say for sure. Lastly, soft structure tyvek is washable, very easily patched with scrap and glue, and seam-sealing is really easy--wipe on with your finger using non-toxic glue that will ship with the shelter.

I'll post official photos on tarptent.com within a week of the tyvek version. The silnylon version is not final and I don't have a release date for it yet but I will try to finalize it over the next couple of weeks.

-H