I had my 45 auto loaded and packed before my recent trip and removed it after realizing that it weighed a ton. When we got to the woods there were hunters and I heard gunfire off in the distance. Late that night, I heard something get attacked and probably eaten by something. It sounded like a pack of dogs of some sort?
Next time I'm packing and will offset the weight by leaving other usless items.
I think my 45 weighs about the same as a hammer. Another story: I have a friend that bow hunts and shot a wild boar. The pig ran off down the trail. My friend went looking for it and heard something behind him. As he turned to see, the pig tried to charge him. My friend jumped on the pig and pulled the arrow out of the wound and repeatedly jambed into the pig putting it down. When he told me, I couldn't believe my ears, but another person that was with him comfirmed it. What a wild man.
Just to give you an idea about this guy, he hand grabs giant catfish, helps tag alligators, with the fish and game commission and can field dress a deer faster than anyone I've ever seen. He likes people to time him. He doesn't call it hunting. He calls it Smack down time, and counts the days and minutes until hunting season.