Folkalist-

Is the issue getting the line over a tree limb? Some methods I've tried: Tie the line to a water bottle (Mine is a Gatorade bottle with a strap added.), fill about 1/3 with water, toss over the limb. If that way is not working for me, I have a small silnylon bag for my Petzl Headlamp. A small rock in the bag, the bag tied to the line does it some days. I have heard that because of the way women's arms develop, some have an easier time throwing the line back over their shoulders, behind them, and over a branch. You might want to keep trying until you find a couple of methods tha you can use. One of these days your sister may not be with you, or not feel up to the rope-placement task.

A couple of cautions. I was most pleased with myself for chosing to practice in the back yard before taking emw gear on the trail. I had a lovely small bag for first aid in one color, another color for my toiletries, and a third for my food bag. After hooking the three of them onto a mini wire 'biner, I hung them with the PCT method. All was well and good until I tried to get them down. They became tangled before the dropped enough for me to reach them. So, while one heavy bag is hard to set up with thin rope (The stuff that doesn't cut trees from BPL), it at least doesn't get tangled. that was a much better issue to ahve in the back yard than on the trail. Some people choose to use a stake bag to hold the rock tossed over a limb. Well, a nice, skinny stake bag does a great job of wrapping around tree limbs and getting stuck. Guess how I know/ that is why I started fiddling with my water bottle and headlamp bag...

Regards,

CamperMom