Quote:
non-lethal self-defence weapons and allow people to carry them

I was waiting for someone to mention this, because I think it really does have a place in this "rules of engagement" discussion. And it really has been a _discussion_ which is a miracle in this day and age. It's a credit to everyone participating in this thread.

I'm going to suggest that people who aren't DEEPLY skilled need to think about carrying non-lethal weapons, perhaps in addition to a lawful handgun. Unless you think the majority of your incidents will be life and death, train yourself to go for the long knife or pepper spray first. (If you really expect to encounter a high probablility of life and death situations -- you should reall re-think being in that area.) There is probably a million and one chance that you should have gone for your gun, which really is an unlucky break, but there is a much greater chance that you non-lethal defensive action is enough to buy what you need to run away. If it really is life and death, I suspect you will drop your knife or pepper spray instanly and get your hands on your handgun, having lost only a half second.

Lots of conversations focus on this lost half-second, but I think it's a red herring. That half-second used wisely is most likely sufficient to save your life -- and it keep you from making the biggest mistake of your life.

-jamieS

Edited by jamieS (04/18/08 02:07 PM)