Quote:
Attack-er called the authorities and reported an "old man drawing a gun on me at the 7-11 gas pump!" Attack-ee was arrested and held. 7-11's security cameras told the real story, and attack-er was arrested.

Dryer, that is a good point.
I've heard a LEO urge his audience to 'be the victim' if there is an incident, you call first and be the victim. It helps in the paperwork.

I've also heard LEO urge, even though displaying a weapon can stop some situations from escalating, it is a very dangerous thing to do. Really, if you don't have enough justification to draw and shoot, don't draw, don't display. Don't threaten to draw or shoot either.
If the time comes, just draw to shoot.
If you end up on the stand explaining that you meant to draw and scare the guy, but accidently shot him (which can happen in a tense situation), it won't go well for you.

Take Tuco's advice in "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly",
Quote:
When it's time to shoot, SHOOT! Don't talk.

Let me also observe that most people that aren't comfortable carrying are probably some of the safest people to have carrying because they're careful.

As an aside, I once had a coworker show me his piece that he carried to work. Even though it was illegal, even though it violated corp. policy, I was quite comfortable with the notion that he had more in his soft sided briefcase than notes and manuals. I thought if someone did go postal at work I had a better chance of surviving with an armed coworker around, although I never carried to work myself.