aimless,

Not meant to be cute. The use of deadly force is like changing a diaper. It is not a pleasant task, but it does need to be done. I do not trust someone that is not up to the job nor do I trust someone that enjoys the job.

I wish we could rely on government services or even the goodwill of our neighbors to keep us and our property safe.

I do not believe deadly force against a human is appropriate to protect property, but IS appropriate against an animal. The topic was "rules of engagment." In my youth some neighborhood dogs began running in a pack. Mind mannered pets in the day and a pack animal at night. We tried hazing with noise including shots. We called animal control and were told they did not have the resources to help. We knocked on all the doors in the nighborhood and discussed the problem. We recognized several of the dogs during these visits and were met with firm denial. The final solution IS shoot, shovel and shut-up.

Check with your local police department about enforcement of TROs. Sorry, but sometimes our society is unable to do what needs to be done.

I DO believe in the rule of law. That is the reason that my state has a "make my day" law.