Quote:

Through no fault of your own, are you mentally and morally prepared to be a victim?

A firearm is a tool for projecting lethal force. If you need to kill something a firearm is the best way to do it. With a firearm, a 115lb woman can kill a 115lb wolf that is killing her dog, or she can kill a 250 man who is bent on raping and killing her. Without the firearm she can only stand back and watch. Or die.

Sorry, but any 250 man trying to rape me is in for a surprise. I have no doubts that I could and would poke his eye out, break his fingers, or do some serious damage to something he values. I don't need your firearms, thanks. He'd probably get it from me, and THEN I'd be in trouble, because I'd be facing a large ARMED man. Guns make me nervous and you need to not be, to use one effectively. Better the unarmed man who I can throw over my shoulder and knock his gonads into his chest cavity.

As long as you educate yourself adequately the forest should not be a scary place. There will always be risk but I feel more at risk walking around my home town than I do in the Sierras. More muggers, rapists, car thieves and gang members here. They don't have the right shoes/gear to follow me into the mountains; those saggy drawers trip 'em up every time.

http://hikeandbackpack.com