I don't normally partake in these discussions, but you bring up some really good points that I agree with Jim. A little background on me is that I am a gun advocate and own several guns. I also had a concealed carry permit at one time. Normally I don't carry nor do I keep loaded guns around in my house. My guns are unloaded under lock and key 99% of the time. I use them solely for target practice and collecting.

Why? Why would I have guns for no apparent use? Well, for me it goes back to the concealed carry permit. As others have already indicated one has to go through a course and pay quite a bit to get one of these permits. I did it just to "exercise my right to bear arms". I am glad I did it because the class really opened my eyes to the consequences of shooting someone. This lead to some deep reflection on whether or not I could actually do it, and do it knowing I did it because I had to. I came to the conclusion that I didn't feel comfortable that I would make the right decision in a situation like that. Thus, I don't carry or keep a loaded gun around the house.

I think that's what all gun owners need to do. If you have put detailed thought into the consequences of shooting someone, and feel like you can make a good unclouded decision to do so under duress then go ahead and carry. I just think too many people haven't put this type of thought into it. Who knows, maybe one day I will change my mind and carry.

I also believe as others have said that if you are gonna draw it then use it. I fully believe that drawing a weapon to "scare" someone is a bad idea, and too many people have been shot with their own guns.