Quote:
....who then fought very viciously to defend herself but was eventually overwhelmed.

I have to wonder if she saw or suspected the first blow. That's the part I doubt. Somewhere in that incident, she got too close, for whatever reason. Looking at that old coot monster, she could have out run him easily. He ain't going to out run the prison homeys!

And the 'fanny pack' carry option....that's why I started the 'ultra-lite carry' thread last month. With some of the new and tiny .380's, .22 mags, 9's and .38's, front pocket carry is very possible. Keeping a hand in the pocket is quicker and less of a tip-off than a hand in the fanny pack. I still do the fanny pack thing but am trying to get away from it by downsizing.
Working in my park, yup, you can certainly get a sense of what people are about, sometimes long before they know you are there. Gotta keep the radar up, stay aware, AND KEEP YOUR DISTANCE!!! Then the gun won't see the light of day and a choice to 'stop' an attacker isn't part of the thought process.