I am glad you posted. It promted me to do a little research. Even if your name was changed to Spot sounds like you might not want the vaccine and I doubt my dog will get the vaccine again. This is one of the things I found......
Quote:
A Giardia vaccine made by Fort Dodge Animal Health is on the market but it is not intended to prevent infection in the vaccinated animal. Instead the vaccine is licensed as an adjunct to treatment and is used to reduce the shedding of cysts by the vaccinated patient. This would be helpful in a kennel situation that is trying to reduce environmental contamination during an outbreak or where an animal keeps getting reinfected, but it is not helpful to the average dog whose owner wants to simply prevent infection.

I know there are many good ethical vets out there (disclaimer in case there are any on this forum), but I more typically have been left with the feeling that it's a big racket whenever I take my dog in. Most of what I found on the quick search that I did, all had something similar to the above quote to say, while my dog's vet led me to believe it was a preventative measure.

In another example, my last dog (rest his sole) was on once a month Heartworm medication. At the end of the 12 month cycle the vet would not sell me a new 12 month supply without re-testing for Heartworm again. I understand that it is a business, and the idea of a business is to be profitable. But I then asked the vet if she thought there was a chance that the medication was not working. And she said no. So then I said, "then I don't think I should have to pay for a new test. Either the stuff that my dogs been taking for the last year works or it doesn't." I got the new medication without the test.

The other thing that amazes me about vets is how much they don't seem to know about nutrition and how quick they are to recommend one of the awful foods that are primarily corn gluten meal.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. Vets are a sore spot for me. I'll pipe down now..............