Good advise. You did not mention the "climbing" that kills more backpackers - snow and ice. Oh, lets get down quicky - start to glissade without the experience or ice axe and all of a sudden you are going 30 mph and hit a rock.

Even most experienced climbers I have known that died met their end on snow.

There are objective dangers even on a Class 1 peak. Lightening for one. If you really want to climb, get some training to develop the judgement that is needed. Start with reading a lot of books-Mountaineering, Freedom of the Hills is a great place to start. Then join a club or get some training. Then practice, practice, practice.

As an aside, for years I did hard core back country technical climbing. It got to the point where we were hauling 30 pounds of gear around, ending up too tired to climb! Maybe it is just getting old. But now, I haul gear to ONE base camp and climb from there. Trying to combine techical climbing with several moves backpacking between destinations did not work well for me.

I have no "grade" that I limit myself to when in the backcountry without gear. I just have enough experience to know when it starts to feel bad. I quit at that point. I probably have backed off more climbs than I have made the summit. Also, if I am going to do any climbing on a backpack I throw in my 9-oz helmet.

I would slightly disagree with "climb up because there is likely an easy way off". This does not always work.