Quote:
for camping, a razor sharp knife is a liability.

Hmmmm....ego, huh....I respectfully yet humbly disagree. There are lots of different kinds of 'edges' you can put on a blade. For camping, or utilitarian use, a 'working' edge is what's needed. The best honed working edge in the world can not be "razor" sharp. The bevel is to obtuse and metal is simply to thick. If it passes the 'thumbnail' or 'hair popping' test, it's plenty sharp. A working edge will cut whats needed and stay sharp, as well as hold up to abuse, similar to an ax. For camping, I like a sharper knife over a duller knife any day, and if I were to cut myself (as I did last week), I'll take a sharp blade over a dull one, no question. My 'super glued' finger is completely healed after one week, cut to the bone by a razor knife blade, my stupidity. My shin, barked by the corner of my utility trailer 3 weeks ago, is still healing....from a 'sharp' piece of angle iron. Would you allow a surgeon to operate with a dull or sharp scalpel?
I inspect my straight razors and other knife blades under a 100 power microscope (available at Radio Shack for under $20)....sharpening is kind of a hobby to me. A dull blade has nicks, cracks, burrs, and 'coves' where bacteria will hang out and is uncleanable. A well ground/sharpened/honed blade will have tiny, even serrations instead.

A rusty nail or a house key will 'cut' and is better than no tool at all. If I'm going to bother carrying a knife, it might as well be in the best working condition possible, ground to the task.