Glenn...

You did the right thing backing off rather than pushing through the pain - you most likely avoided significant damage to your joints. Your post is very honest and contains many of the answers to your situation.

1) I think it is fair to take the time to find what your priorities are for your time and activities. Spending time with grandkids can be time very well spent. Ditto for spending more time with the rest of your family/loved ones. Backpacking sounds like it is an activity you enjoy, but one that takes you away from the people you enjoy.

2) No matter what you decide about your preferred activities, taking off the extra pounds and exercising yourself back to good cardio condition will enhance the time you spend on your preferred activities. Golf will be much more enjoyable if you don't feel pain in your hips, and walking 18 is healtheir than driving between each hole. Playing with the grandkids most certainly will be more enjoyable when Grandpa doesn't have to cry uncle because of pain. And of course, taking the weight off may help you live longer so you can enjoy the people in your life more.

If you have access to a swimming pool, water aerobics are a good way to get started, and low impact on your joints. When your joints are stronger you can add hill climbing and walking. Given the pain you experienced, I would go very slowly and as low impact as possible while you rebuild the muscles around the joints. A lack of exercise makes the muscles weaker, and also the tendons and ligaments more vulnerable to inflammation (tendonitis, for e.g.), and the stress on the joints also causes inflammation which could lead to arthritis if you're not careful (if you have arthritis in any joint, you are at risk of developing it in other joints). I do feel, though, that with a little work and investment, you can rebuild your strength and stamina and be able to do the trip you just tried without feeling as much pain or windedness.

Of course, if you haven't had one lately, a thorough physical is in order before starting on any kind of regular exercise plan. You windedness may simply be an indication that your cardio fitness has dropped off, but it could also be an indicator of other health problems (respiratory or cardiac).

MNS