well, i have lived in many hosues without refridgeration...

in the cold months there was no big deal, just hang stuff out window!!!! I am serious!

In warmer months perishables were bought in smaller portions and more often..most cheeses will be fine for 2-3 on the countertop... if you keep them qrapped well so they do not dry out they will actually be fine for much longer. I have been on blazing hot beaches for upt a week with cheese... no problems... kind of messy, ,ind of soft in the heat, but by morning it was always cool enough th athe cheese was not mooshy...

salami and any smoked meat will last for YEARS!!!!! I live in Hungary, many ppl here stil leave their smoked meats in the pantry, not the fridge... buy a nice chunck of quality smoked ham, hang it in the pantry, or anwhere not too damp and just carve off pieces as you need them. it will not rot!

get your favorite cut o fmeat, say porkchops - the big favorite here, go into the kitchen, you could time it to cook when vegetarians are there, they wil not eat your stuff, mean but effective... anyway... cook the meat in a frying pan... in lard i fyouwant great flavor but any oil will do.. when he chops are cooked place them in any container you want such that you have a layer of grease/lard/oil then a chop, more grease, chop, etc. make sure the top layer of meat covered with grease... I have eatem meat like this 2 weeks after making it, again on the blazing hot Croatian beaches.. I have eaten stuff like this months later, stored on a kitchen shelf, no fridge...

if you are allowed to use an immersion heater you should be allowed to use a hot plate or crock pot.. .with either of these you can cook anything.

if you have lots of sun wher eyou are think of a solar cooker.. place dinner int eh cooker, place in
the sun, go to class, come home, eat fresh cooked meal...

To be honest any leftovers will be fine for at least one day, usually even two! so you could cook big batches and eat it for 2 ro 3 days without a fridge.

robi

edtied to add: spreads...

crush garlic, add fresh basil cover with olive oil dip your favorite bread in it... get a toaster dip toast in this...

make körözött: cottage cheese, paprika, chives, salt... yoru cottage cheese in the US is too runny... buy a small tub of it... strain it very well then mix in the spices... it will be fine for many days on your counter!!! you can add a dallop of sour cream BTW if you want to make is creamy/spready....

Edited by robi (03/28/08 03:29 AM)