I stumbled across this post during a search - and I liked it. But let me start by saying that what Rumsfeld said was 'You go to war with what you have' -- what he meant was ' You send someone else to war with what you have.' I really doubt that jerk would be willing to put himself in harms way, but he is eager to send others. And, yes I am ex-military.
Now that I got that off my chest - I totally agree with Daisy. I am somewhere in the mid range. I don't have a camp chair, but I take a good camera. I tarp camp because I like the openess. I might take some heavy food if it sounds good. That sorta person. I used to be a heavy weight packer -- man I brought everything. You should have seen some of my loads in the old days - real knee crushers. And that brings me to my current pack. I found this sight several years ago and lurked around. I had knee injury that I was nursing and rehabilitating and heard about this Jardine dude that carried a light pack - that sounded good to me. A google search and here I was. Learned a lot of good stuff. And now my pack is substantially lighter.
So I guess if I want to carry it, I will. Ever mindful of the knee leaves me with self imposed boundaries, but other than that I don't sweat it too much.