I think if it is something you're concerned or passionate about, it is important to know the difference between base weight, skin out weight, body weight, etc. When I had a heavier pack and heavy boots, I don't think it made any difference if my pants were 1oz heavier, or if I had a granola bar or compass in my pocket. At the end of the day, my feet were sore, my shoulders ached, and my back was in agony.

Now I hike with those exact same pants, but light weight trail running shoes and a light pack. When I load up with 8 days of food, yeah my shoulders might get a little sore, but if my base weight is as low as I can get it, then the food and fuel weight has less of an impact. 20 pounds of food, fuel, and water on a 10 pound base is 30 pounds, the same on a 20 pound base is 40. It makes a big difference, especially near the end of your hike and your pack now weighs 15 instead of 25 pounds!

As others have said, safety and comfort are important, but chipping away at your gear over years (I've spent 10 years getting my pack weight down since my 'awakening' to light weight hiking) is a great way to improve your backpacking enjoyment. You don't have to run out and buy everything all at once, I do a bit of overtime at work in the winter and that's my gear budget.