Not that I am a Rumsfield fan, but "you go to war with what you have, not what you want" also applies to backpacking. I go out with what I have. I do not have the $$ to simply go out and buy the latest lightest stuff.

I count EVERYTHING! On the back, on the body, all food, all fuel, all water carried. Body fat? I do not have any! And add the stupid bear cannister! So count me in for the ultra-heavy crowd! I'm at the 20 pound range for a weekend, 35-40 pounds for a 10-day trip - high altitude, camping at 11,000 feet, freezing at night, off-trail, solo, seeing nobody in 8 days or more. I cannot beg, borrow or steal off anyone. Often I have to throw in an ice axe. My camera is a must so when I am 90 I can sit back and look at my photos while drooling in my wheelchair.

I really think it is kind of a stupid question. If I simply wanted to prove I could survive on a 10-day trip, yes, I could take 5 pounds. That is not why I backpack. On the other hand, if that is your thing - go for it.

I say, go out, get going - do it! If you have old heavy stuff, so what? It's better to go out and do something than agonize over your UL status. I buy one or two light items each year. I am gradually getting to the light side. But I need my $$ to buy gas, so I can go out!

My S.O. can sleep fuzzy warm at freezing temps in a 1-pound bag. Me, I freeze when the thermostat goes down to 68! I consider my 10-degree bag a 32-degree bag. Everyone is different.

Bottom line - lighter pack = more comfortable walking, less comfortable camping. You find your own balance between the two. The most important thing is to go backpacking.