Quote:
i often hang my food (no canister to carry)- but i urge you to consider a canister. i would not even think of hanging in grisly bear country! it's way to dangerous! nothing worse than loosing all your food (and gear) to a bear and having to hike out hungry- or have a physical encounter.

Bah. on what do you base that? Sounds like Bullonium 238 to me... I hike in Grizzly country far more
often than not, and I hang. Either PCT method or on park provided poles. I've never had a problem - nor
does parks canada. Mostly it is simple common sense.

Most of the places that require Canisters are because of Habituated Black Bears, not grizzlies.

The only place I'd worry about a canister for Grizzlies is Tundra country where there is noplace to hang,
then you better believe I'll take a canister and be doing the whole triangle thing for cooking/storage/tenting.

Quote:

hanging food is also a learned skill- takes practice and patience. i can easily spend a half an hour wandering around looking for a suitable tree (in an area full of trees!), then another 15 minutes trying to huck that rock over the right branch at the right place.

This I agree with. Make your pct rig and go to a local park and practice a few times before going out.
Browse my pictures