Edward Abbey's choice of backpacking caliber is just fine with me, .357 magnum. I do like a bit of heft in a powerful pocket revolver though so I go with the all steel but lighter weight J frame that S&W offers. I have hefted the diminutive scandium models but I'll pack the 21 oz of the steel. They tuck away nicely.

We do a lot of hiking down around the Arizona/Mexico border, one of the most active smuggling routes in America. It is obvious when you are there. There are some beautiful mountain ranges, austere bajadas and canyons, one that runs right down to the border fence that we travel often.

I do like the Kahr Mini K-9 as well, a flat compact 9mm that has about the same heft as my S&W 60-14. So for me, compact, somewhat light but not ultra-light. I find this class the most shootable for the small size and easily concealable.

I have a good solid S&W .22 mag in a J frame the mod 650 that makes a decent trail weapon but prefer the larger calibers in most cases when hiking with girlfriend.