I have sealskinz and like them in the right context, but I only carry them if I think the temps could be on the low side.

For summer stream crossing I typically take out my shoe inserts (one less thing to dry) and cross with just very thin socks or perhaps better no socks and the shoes without the inserts. I'm not a fan of crossing barefoot --- I'm a tenderfoot, and taking extra care with my feet (sometimes when I can't see the stream bottom) is one more thing to worry about, something that could (negatively) change how I might react to being tipped a little off balance, etc.

After crossing, what works for me is to squeeze as much water as I reasonably can out of the shoes (non-goretex shoes of course), put in the inserts, dry my feet, put on a liner sock and then put on a goretex sock over that. This lets me have dry feet right away while my shoes dry out as I walk. At some point the shoes are dry enough to remove the goretex sock. I don't carry goretex socks primarily for that, however --- only if I think there's reasonable chance of extended rain or snow, but if I have them, I like to use 'em that way.

This approach works well when stream crossings are infrequent. If crossing stream-after-stream, then I wouldn't bother with the goretex, and perhaps sealskins or some sort of thin neoprene sock would be a good choice.