Western Montana this year has had above average snowfall, and even in drier years Going to the Sun Road is often still closed in June. The chances of there being any open back country sites along the Highline Trail this June are next to nil.

As you probably noticed if you went to the GNP web site, there actually is only limited back country camping available in the park, and you cannot camp anywhere you want. To add to the misery, you have to make a reservation, which is especially annoying for those finishing the last part of the CDT.

The park's web site also has a very good trail reporting system: what's open, what's closed, what's passable if you can negotiate downed timber or a six foot deep snow drift.

One thing that the Park Service takes very seriously in Glacier is trail closures: they will put a chain across the trail, and in some cases (such as on the Highline Trail at Logan Pass) there will be a sign that says you are subject to arrest if you go beyond the chain. This is intended to protect tourists from lethal slides on the snow (or bear activity).

Other than perhaps in the far northeast corner or in the south where you have to cross the middle fork of the Flathead River, I wouldn't worry too much about going solo: the trails are as crowded as Switzerland.

And don't even think of taking a gun for bear protection: if a ranger doesn't see you, maybe someone else will and report you (I've done it myself to one very flagrant violator of the gun law). You may have heard that some western senators are trying to force the NPS to adhere to the gun laws of whatever state a park is in, which would allow open carry in GNP. Somewhat surprisingly, letters to the editor in Montana newspapers are overwhelmingly against allowing loaded guns in Glacier.

While we're on the matter of law enforcement, stick to the posted speed limits on the road: the law enforcement rangers write a lot of tickets.

You should also consider that many of the trails in GNP rely on bridges and tunnels that need to be cleared of snow and avalanche debris before they are opened to hikers, so I'm afraid to say that most probably only the lower elevation trails will be available to you this June.

If you get a chance, I highly recommend a trip to the hamlet of Polebridge on the North Fork of the Flathead (stay at the Hostel if you can).