Quote:
I will be going to Glacier N.P. for the first time this June and I was wanting to try backcountry camping. I've never been backcountry before. I've tent camped, I mountain bike, I go hunting, I go on hikes. I'm fairly familiar with being outdoors. I am going to Glacier by myself. My question being, how risky is going backcountry hiking/ camping solo. I am going to do some regular campground camping as well, but for a night or two I wanted to try backcountry hiking/ camping. I love the outdoors and it seems like it could be thrilling and very enjoyable.

Any tips, recomendations, or concerns?

Thank You in advance.

Just a few notes:
* you know you have to get a backcountry permit? Go to the Glacier website for info on that. Lots of bc camps will still be under lots of snow. Going to the Sun Road may well not be open yet....lots of snow this year.

* Pack snowshows and an ice axe just in case.

* Bears, Griz and/or Blacks? they will recently have left their dens, and so will be pretty skittery and nervous. Sows with cubs will be super hyper about protecting them. They all will be searching relentlessly for winter-kill carcasses. A big knife won't do diddly squat even if you are one of the 3 musketeers!! Carrying a firearm of sufficient size to stop a bear will be super obvious, and sure to land you in the Park Service Pokey!!...and considering that a bear can cover enough ground to take a good bite before you even get it out of your holster.....well, you can finish that. Carry Bear Spray.....Counter Assault brand is what most carry around here.

* when hiking watch your surroundings, not your feet....you can be onto a bear before you know it. Make noise....singing the ugliest song you know might work. Forget 'bear-bells....they aren't loud enough. If you hear any thrashing or such, pay attention until you know what it is. If you smell anything that is remotely like rotting flesh (a carcass) think about going someplace else.....critters protect their food maybe as much as their kids!

Above all, have fun!!