Free Tibet! (Or at least get it for half off.)

That said, as a conspicuous consumer I ordered and received eight flashlights from that Hong Kong-based online retailer, DealExtreme, and like Warhol in the soup can, I’ve been sucked into the LED vortex.

Esquire, Nov. 1969

Received them in about 12 days just as Trailrunner predicted, and these things are light years ahead of what I’ve had in the past. I ordered a Cree LED flashlight (Romisen MXDL RC-G2 Cree Flashlight @ $11.50) that uses 1 AA battery, and a seven-pack of 9 SUPER BRIGHT 20000mcd WHITE LED Flashlights @ $13.02 (that use three AAA batteries). So that’s $24.52 for the 8 lights, and that INCLUDED postage and Customs duty paid from Hong Kong! Geez, it's like they're paying us to consume.

Here’s a crude output comparison of the Cree, one of those from the seven-pack, and a 9-LED flashlight I bought from Sportsmans Guide two years ago. (Is the latter one on? It’s outta here.)

left-to-right: Cree, the 9-LED one (for $1.86,) & the two-yr-old 9-LED from Sportsmans Guide -- are you there, Oldtimer?

The Cree is a bit “warmer” and has a much more focused spot beam than the cheapy one. The Cree uses a single LED, an XR-E LED Emitter that uses that one AA battery for its 160-lumen white power LED (introduced by Cree in Oct of ’06.)

Those seven cheapy ones (at $1.86 each) put out more of a super-bright flood beam. Each has nine 20000-mcd (millicandela) LEDs. Without batteries, the cheapy one is light as a feather. The Cree has a much more substantial housing, yet when you put 3 AAAs in the cheap one it is about the same weight as the CREE with its single AA. (Sorry, I need a good scale next .)

I’ve already given away five of the seven cheap ones to hiking buddies and friends, and everyone has been amazed at how light & bright those $1.86 ones are. A techy friend I gave one to at first swore that the housing was made of plastic it was so light, yet even those are made of very nicely machined aluminum. I’m very impressed. The page for that 7-pack is here, since it is hard to find, and they have an infinite variety of package “deals.” BTW, I, too, have no connection with them, just a happy consumer.

I’m probably riding the caboose on this LED train and this is all old stuff. But in trying to learn more, I came across this quote at bikeled.org. from 3/22/08 :

Quote:
So the LED you choose today will probably be surpassed in output/efficiency within six months to a year from now. For the year 2005 and most of 2006, the best choice was to choose one of Lumiled's Luxeon emitters. In October of 2006 Cree released the XLamp 7090, XR-E series LED. About 4 months later Seoul Semiconductor (SSC) released the Z-Power P4 LED, which is actually based on Cree's chip, but doped and packaged differently. Both of these offerings totally surpassed what Luxeon was offering, more than doubling the available luminous output for the same amount of power (ie. lumens/watt).

Even though they, too, will soon be outdated, these new ones certainly still seem worth it, especially at their price. I’m giving my box of outdated flashlights & headlamps I’ve accumulated up to now to charity & friends. Thanks TR and BarryP for the advice.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)